Between work, a social life and other obligations, it’s essential that we make running fit into our lives, otherwise it becomes just another thing to cross off our to do lists, and that’s no fun. I’ve been working on maintaining this mentality so far, this year. For the last few months of 2017, I was feeling super burned out, both physically and mentally, and just needed to pull back a bit. I have no problem putting in the hard work – my fine tuning as a runner – and as a person – involves learning to do less, not more, and most importantly, learning to be okay with that. I’m almost 53. I’m not an elite athlete, and I have nothing to prove to anyone but myself. But I still like to push myself. The impetus has to come from within.
I’ve been feeling fairly good so far in 2018. I’m trying to be better about truly listening to my body and resting when I need to.
I logged in 190 miles in January. I’m finally starting to feel rested and the speed is slowly returning to my legs. Here’s what I did over the past few weeks.
Week of January 8, 2018
- Monday, 1/8: Running: 5.08 easy miles over the Ben Franklin Bridge (steep elevation) at 9:15 pace with my teammate, Chrissie.
- Tuesday 1/9: Morning Running, 6.01 miles at 8:16 pace; Strength and core: 17 minutes; Evening Running, 2.5 treadmill miles at 8:40 pace
- Wednesday 1/10: Running, 6 treadmill miles at 8:40 pace. I had a cold so I just listened to my body. The run really cleared my nasal passages
- Thursday 1/11: Running, 11 miles at 8:15 pace. Felt much better.
- Friday 1/12: Tempo run on the treadmill: 6 miles at 8:05: 2 mile warm up, 3 miles at tempo: splits- 7:30 /7:17/7:05; remaining mileage as cooldown. TVs were not working at gym and I had no phone, so this was extra challenging
- Saturday 1/13: Day off
- Sunday 1/14: Running, treadmill, gym 10.5 miles at 8:30 pace
Total weekly miles: 47.1
Total exercise duration: 5 hours, 56 minutes
Week of January 15, 2018 (Cut-back week)
- Monday, 1/15: Running, accidental tempo-ish run: 3.5 miles at 7:45 pace, felt great: 8:23/ 7:39/7:23/7:23 splits; Yoga class: 1 hour, 15 mins.
- Tuesday 1/16: Day off
- Wednesday 1/17: Running, 6.08 miles at 8:19 pace; Strength and core: 25 minutes; Plyometrics: 5 minutes; Running, easy treadmill intervals: 6 miles at 8:24 pace: 2 mile warmup, 6 x 1:00 on/1:00 off- interval splits: 6:40; 6:40; 6:40, 6:40, 6:31, 6:23, remaining as cool down. I love intervals – but running fast on the treadmill freaks me out a bit. I need to get over it because it limits my speed.
- Thursday 1/18: Elliptical, 15 minutes; Gym bike, 10 minutes; Strength and core: 10 minutes; Aerobic run: 6.5 miles at 8:20 pace
- Friday 1/19: Treadmill run with one fast mile: I decided to cut this short because of my accidental tempoish run on Monday. 4 miles at 8:22: 2 mile warm up, 1 mile at 7:10 (Finished at 6:52); remaining mileage as cooldown.
- Saturday 1/20: Day off
- Sunday 1/21: Running 11.1 miles at 8:10 pace with my teammate Aliah. I wanted to keep it to 8:30ish pace but this is what happens when you run with someone who is 20 years your junior!
Total weekly miles: 37.4
Total exercise duration: 7 hours, 28 minutes
Week of January 22, 2018 This was supposed to be a higher mileage week, but I listened to my body and ended up taking 2 cut back weeks in a row
- Monday, 1/22: Running: 6.5 miles at 8:26 pace
- Tuesday 1/23: Running, team track workout: Running to Franklin Field, 2.52 miles at 8:28, warmup plus 5 x 400 with 400 recoveries (roughly 3 miles total), ran a few of these with Kevin, my super-speedy teammate who is just returning to running after surgery for an injury. 400 splits: 6:27, 6:38, 6:20, 6:29, 6:14, From Franklin Field to home, 2.35 miles at 9:13 pace. Still not totally back in shape but it felt good to kick out the legs.
- Wednesday 1/24: Bottom of my right forefront was throbbing to the point where it hurt to walk, so I decided to mostly cross-training. Strength and core: 1o minutes; Plyometrics: 5 minutes; Rowing, gym: 10 minutes; Elliptical, 35 minutes; Gym bike, 15 minutes
- Thursday 1/25: Treadmill run: 6 miles at 8:25 pace; Yoga class, 1 hour, 10 minutes
- Friday 1/26: Tempo run on the treadmill: 6.01 miles at 7:55 pace. Splits; 7.37/7:26/6:58/7:19/8:10 Felt better than usual!;
- Saturday 1/27: Running: 11.5 miles at 8:35 pace ; felt exhausted. In retrospect, I think I was dehydrated.
- Sunday 1/28: Day off
Total weekly miles: 37.6
Total exercise duration: 7 hours, 33 minutes
Week of January 29, 2018 This was supposed to be a higher mileage week, but I listened to my body and ended up taking 2 cut back weeks in a row
- Monday, 1/29: Running: 6.47 miles at 8:09 pace
- Tuesday 1/30: Running, intervals on treadmill: 5 miles at 8:23: 2 mile warm up.
8 x 200 with 200 recoveries Started at 6:40 last one at 6:18 – sp scary running at top end on mill; 1 mile cool down then had to use bathroom! Running, cooldown on treadmill: 2 miles at 8:16; Strength and core: 3o minutes
- Wednesday 1/31: Morning running, aerobic: 8.71 miles at 8:24 pace. I felt really good and instinctively wanted to go faster but I consciously kept slowing down to keep my heart rate at the top of my aerobic zone 2. I wanted to save my strength and speed for the tempo run. Evening cool-down running, aerobic: 2 miles at 8:52 pace; Yoga class, 1 hour, 5 minutes; Gym bike, 5 minutes, for a shakeout
- Thursday 2/1: Treadmill run: 6 miles at 8:45 pace;
- Friday 2/2: Tempo run on the treadmill: 6.5 miles at 8.01 pace. 2 mile warm up, 4 at tempo, .5 mile cool down. Tempo splits; 7.39/7:24/6:58/7:15/6:50. So happy to run a sub-7 again. Felt strong. Glad I held back on Wednesday’s run.
- Saturday 2/3: Running: 12.2 miles at 8:27 pace.Went out later than usual to avoid the cold. Managed a 7:42 at mile 11 so I guess I’m getting back into shape. I was so bored with my usual long run route that I did a completely different course and it was a fun change
- Sunday 2/4: Day off
Total weekly miles: 48.9
Total exercise duration: 8 hours, 3o minutes
My favorite workout of this segment was this week’s tempo run. It’s funny- at the start of the year, I hated tempo runs because they hurt so much and felt so insanely hard, I was out of shape and was carrying a few extra post-season pounds. Now that I am getting back into shape and am leaning back down, I love the feeling of holding those tempo paces.
What are your favorite recent workouts?