I hope everyone had a nice holiday. Mine was simply awesome. Like everyone, I was busy baking, shopping and wrapping gifts, but despite the festivities, I somehow managed to squeak in 2 great weeks of workouts. Running and exercising proved to be my stress relief.After 3 weeks of planned Prehab Not Rehab, I felt strong and rested. Right now, I’ve been concentrating on rebuilding my base to a level that feels good for me – around 40-50 miles per week, while throwing in a bit of strength, cross-training and some speed work to stay fresh. Next week, I will take a “down” week; in my experience, as a master’s runner, my body usually stays injury free and remains springier doing 2 weeks up and 1 week down.
Here’s what I did the last two weeks…
Week of December 11
- Monday 12/11: Morning, running, 8.56 aerobic miles at 8:10 pace; Evening, 1:15 hour yoga class at gym
- Tuesday 12/12: Running, 5.07 miles at 8:35 pace, dedicated today’s run to the memory of my running friend Eric Larsen
- Wednesday 12/13: Morning, running, 6.23 miles at 8:36 pace-freezing with 15MPH wind gusts; Evening, running, treadmill cooldown run, 2 miles at 8:31 pace; rowing, 5 minutes; strength, 30 minutes
- Thursday 12/14: Running, 3.12 miles at 8:25 pace- path was icy so I just took it easy
- Friday 12/15: Tempo run on the treadmill, 6 miles at 8:05, 2 mile warm up, 3 miles at tempo: 7:30/7:28/~7:06 ending at about 6:45; 1 mile cooldown this felt hard since I am still carrying around a few post-season pounds and have not been doing much speedwork
- Saturday 12/16: Running, long run in the snow, 9.04 miles at 8:39 pace. I thought the paths would be plowed but they were not, so I had to adjust my stride and pace. Really enjoyed the beautiful landscape.
- Sunday 12/17: Day off
Total weekly miles: 40
Total exercise duration: 7 hours, 21 minutes
Week of December 18
- Monday 12/18: Running, 8.59 miles at 8:22 pace
- Tuesday 12/19: Morning- workout at boyfriend’s gym, elliptical, 15 minutes medium effort; strength, 20 minutes; Evening, Running, light intervals on treadmill: 6 miles at 8:32 pace, 2-mile warm-up; 6 x 1:00 (1 minute on/1 off) 7:17; 7:08; 7:08; 7:03; 6:58; 6:54; 2-mile cooldown
- Wednesday 12/20: Running, 4 miles at 8:46 – I was tired from the previous day’s doubles, so I took it easy
- Thursday 12/21: Running, 8.52 miles at 8:33 pace
- Friday 12/22: Day off. I was going to take Saturday off but I switched since my gastrocs were very sore.
- Saturday 12/23: Running, moderate tempo run on treadmill, 2 mile warm, 3 tempo miles at 7:30/7:30/7:21, cooldown mile. Felt hard, again but so satisfying when a workout feels hard and you still complete it. Strength and core, 15 minutes. I wanted to do more but with all of the things I needed to do for Christmas, I cut my workout short.
- Christmas Eve, Sunday 12/24: Running, long run, 11 miles at 8:34, nice and relaxing.
Total weekly miles: 44.1
Total exercise duration: 7 hours, 4 minutes